|The 1999 AL All-Star Team vs. The 1993 AL All-Star Team|
The first AL Eastern Conference Round 1 match pitted the first seed 1999 AL All-Star Team against the 4th seed 1993 AL All-Star Team. Here are how the pitching match-ups and lineups were determined:
- The pitching rotations were set based on the All-Star Series results posted on bdj610's Topps Baseball Card Blog (you can click on each of the links on the sidebar to see each year's match-ups).
- The lineups for the first six series were set, with each position player in the starting lineup twice.
- The seventh series was done in an anything goes format, where the lineups were randomly determined, spot starters were used (SBS only allows up to five names for the rotation).
- The series was not run in a best-of-seven (first to four wins). All seven series are run regardless of the outcome.
So let's begin with the season summary for both teams.
The 1999 AL All-Stars won their division with a 98-64 record. The 1993 AL All-Stars finished fourth with a 72-90 record, and won the tie breaker with the 2005 AL All-Star team thanks to a 10-8 head-to-head season series. The 1999 AL All-Stars took the season series against the 1993 AL All-Stars 13-5.
For the tournament, each series consists of 10,000 simulated games. The winner of each series = the winner of a game. Here are the results from the seven series simulations:
- Game 1: 1993 AL vs. 1999 AL, Jack McDowell (93) vs. Pedro Martinez (99). The 99 AL team wins 8,090 games out of 10,000 simulations.
- Game 2: 1993 AL vs. 1999 AL, Randy Johnson (93) vs. Bartolo Colon (99). The 99 AL team wins 5,337 games.
- Game 3: 1999 AL vs. 1993 AL, Mike Mussina (99) vs. Kevin Appier (93). The 93 AL team wins 5,393 games.
- Game 4: 1999 AL vs. 1993 AL, Aaron Sele (99) vs. Jimmy Key (93). The 93 AL team wins 5,180 games.
- Game 5: 1999 AL vs. 1993 AL, Orlando Hernandez (99) vs. Pat Hentgen (93). The 99 AL team wins 7,050 games.
- Game 6: 1993 AL vs. 1999 AL, Mark Langston (93) vs. David Wells (99). The 99 AL team wins 5,429 games.
- Game 7: 1993 AL vs. 1999 AL, anything goes. The 1999 AL team wins 5,889 games.
The 1999 AL All-Star Team advances to the second round thanks to a 5-2 series win. They will face the winner of the (2) 1997 AL All-Star Team vs. (3) 2008 AL All-Star team. The results for this series will be posted shortly.